Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ

Most potential students have a lot of questions.  If you do not see the question and answer you are seeking below, please fill out the request for info to the right and we will get back to you with an answer as soon as possible.


Can students from other states attend Interstate Truck Driving School?

YES!  Interstate Truck Driving School is affiliated with Hudson Truck Driving School in Wisconsin and the state of Wisconsin allows students from other states to take their training and testing in WI. Students will not need to change their license to another state.  Students will need to obtain a CDL permit from their home state and then Interstate Truck Driving School can train them in Minnesota and Hudson Truck Driving School will train in Wisconsin.  Out of state students will need to take their CDL road test in Wisconsin where a fee of $150.00 is charged to the student by the examiner.  The students home state is then obligated by Federal Rules to accept the test results from Wisconsin.

When students enroll in this program, they will be able to take all of their coursework online from home (100 hours).  Upon completion of the coursework, students will be scheduled to take their hands on driver training (backing range practice, simulator training, one-on-one driving instruction) with an intensive ten day schedule followed by a road test provided on the 10th day. 

Students may use our online option to complete their coursework (100 hours) and then attend in person at our campus in South St. Paul for two weeks to prepare for the CDL road test.  Every effort will be made to complete the hands on training within two weeks to keep the cost of lodging to a minimum.

What is the first thing I need to do to get a CDL?

You need to get a CDL permit by taking a few written tests at one of the state driver license exam stations. You do not need to have your permit to start training with us but you will need to concentrate on getting the permit as soon as you start training.

To enroll in one of our programs, simply come to our office to fill out some paperwork and take a drug test. You will need to pre-register the week before class starts. You can register over the phone and complete required paperwork via email.

What is the difference between a Class A and a Class B CDL?

The Class A License allows you to drive trucks of any size and with trailers of any size. The Class B license allows you to drive a truck of any size but you are limited to trailers of less than 10,000 lbs GVW behind a Class B truck.

If I have a Class A CDL can I drive a Class B?

Yes, but you cannot drive a Class A if you just have a B license.

Is a Health Card a requirement?

Yes, we now require the DOT health card for our students. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has implemented new rules that require proof of a valid health card when applying for or renewing a CDL license.

You do not need a health card to start training but we will provide access to a DOT physical at our South St. Paul Campus.  You can obtain your DOT in advance of starting training.  You can schedule your DOT Physical HERE.  If you already have a current DOT physical, you do not need a new one. 

Does Interstate Truck Driving School provide job placement?

Yes, Job Placement is provided for students that complete our comprehensive programs that include the Entry Level Driver classroom and training in the larger trucks. We can get you pre-hired before you start your training if you meet the qualifications.  You will be able to go to work with a few days of completion of your training.

Are there any restrictions when testing with an automatic transmission?

Yes.  If you take a CDL road test with a truck that has an automatic transmission, then your license with have a restriction on it limiting you to CDL vehicles with automatic transmissions.  It is because of this restriction that we have invested in several truck driving simulators to teach our students how to properly shift the big trucks.

Can Veterans use their G I Bill® Benefits for tuition?

YES! The Minnesota Approving Agency has approved Interstate Truck Driving School for VA educational benefits.  We are the only truck driving school in Minnesota that has been approved by the State Approving Agency for these benefits.

Is Financing Available?

Yes, we work with Climb Credit to arrange financing for tuition.  You will have to make a $500.00 payment toward your tuition and then the balance can be financed. To apply, please visit their website at  Several of the trucking companies that we place students with will provide you with 100% tuition reimbursement.  After the reimbursement, the training is FREE!